AZƏRBAYCANDA KORONAVIRUSLA BAĞLI XƏBƏRLƏR

Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry comments on information about two French journalists wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh region

Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry comments on information about two French journalists wounded in Nagorno-Karabakh region

Politics
01 October 2020, 18:00 54
The Armenian media disseminated the information about two journalists of France’s "Le Monde" newspaper wounded in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region, Trend reports on Oct. 1 referring to the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry.
"Armenia, risking the lives of foreign journalists and grossly violating international law, organizes the trips to the territory in which the military operations are being held,” the ministry added.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry reminded that the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry officially announced on September 27 that the Azerbaijani army does not target the civilian population and facilities as opposed to Armenia.
"During military operations, Azerbaijan complies with the requirements of international humanitarian law, including the Geneva Conventions,” the ministry said.
"The fact that foreign journalists are deliberately brought to dangerous territories openly demonstrates that the Armenian government does not fulfill its obligations to ensure the safety of foreign journalists and uses them for its illegal propaganda purposes,” the ministry said.
The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry appealed to foreign journalists, recommending them, first of all, to get the consent of the Azerbaijani side to visit the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts of Azerbaijan.
Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of the Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars, and artillery on Sept. 27.
Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops managed to liberate the territories previously occupied by Armenia: Garakhanbeyli, Garvend, Kend Horadiz, Yukhari, Ashagi Abdulrahmanli villages (Fuzuli district), Boyuk Marjanli, and Nuzgar villages (Jabrayil district).
Moreover, the positions of the Armenian Armed Forces were destroyed in the direction of Azerbaijan's Agdere district and Murovdag, important heights were taken under control.
Military actions continued on Sept. 29. Azerbaijani army was able to destroy several tanks of the Armenian Armed Forces, as well as several key military facilities.
Azerbaijan's Dashkesan district underwent fire on the same day from the opposing forces, while Azerbaijani Armed Forces continued military actions on Sept. 29 to liberate the city of Fuzuli from occupation.
According to a statement from Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry, the Armenian armed forces have suffered heavy losses along the entire front line from Sept. 27 through Sept. 30, including tanks, armored vehicles, artillery installations, rocket launch systems, as well as command and observation posts, air defense systems, etc.
Back in July 2020, the Armenian Armed Forces violated the ceasefire in the direction of Azerbaijan's Tovuz district. As a result of Azerbaijan's retaliation, the opposing forces were silenced. The fighting continued the following days as well. Azerbaijan lost a number of military personnel members, who died fighting off the attacks of the Armenian armed forces.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.